The Bells

The Bells In Leafield Church

Leafield church has a west tower with spire containing a ring of 6 bells. The bells were commissioned by Rev. J.G. Gibbs and funded  partly by public subscription and partly through bazaars and sales of work. The bells were cast in 1874 by Messrs. J. Taylor & Co., Bell founders of Loughborough at a cost of £375 18s 6d. The original oak frame and gear, also by Taylors, is thought to have been renewed after the 1934 rebuilding of the spire.

Two evensong services for the dedication of the new bells were held on 16 November 1874. Sermons were given at the first service by the Bishop of Oxford and at the second the Rev. J.H. Worsley, Chaplain of Bromley College and the former Vicar of Leafield who had been responsible for the 1859 re-building of the church. The hymn was sung “They are lifted to the Steeple, now our Bells are set on high”. After the services, tea and a sale of needlework and fancy articles was held in the School Room.

Leafield bell ringers are always required !

 

Leafield Church bell details

Bell

Inscription

Weight

Cwt. Qtr. Lb.
Treble J. Taylor & Co. Bell Founders, Loughborough, 1874  4 3 1
Second J. Taylor & Co. Bell Founders, Loughborough, 1874  5 1 16
Third J. Taylor & Co. Bell Founders, Loughborough, 1874  8 3 11
Fourth J. Taylor & Co. Bell Founders, Loughborough, 1874  7 0 25
Fifth J. Taylor & Co. Bell Founders, Loughborough, 1874 Given by James Gibbs M.A. Vicar and Samuel Horsfall Edelsten Churchwarden. 8 3 11
Tenor AD 1874I toll the funeral knellI ring the festal dayI mark the fleeting hourAnd chime the Church to pray. 11 2 21